Application Support Specialist - Technical IS
|Job Type:||Permanent||Location:||Dublin South|
My client a leader in their field is seeking an Application Support Specialist to join their team.
- Provide technical support in the installation, licensing, configuration and issue resolution of specialist applications for the technical teams (Geology & Geophysics and Reservoir Engineering).
- This includes geoscience interpretation systems and seimsic processing software on both Windows and linux operating systems; and includes Landmark: DSD, Openworks, Seisworks, Promax/SeisSpace, Schlumberger: Petrel, Eclipse, I.H.S: Kingdom, Paradigm: EPOS, Geodepth and a large portfolio of other applications such as Petex, Ecrin, Petrosys, ESRI, OpenSpirit, etc
- Provide support in the conception and delivery of new technical services; includes input to strategic roadmaps, execution of project activities such as, but not limited to, bench marking, testing and build of environments for new products as well as hand-over to operational support.
- Guided by Information Systems standards in capacity, availability, configuration and service delivery management.
Responsibilities / Key Objectives:
Technical Systems Support
- Work in concert with the Global IS Service Desk and Local services desks and 1st & 2nd line support teams to support the technical systems used by the technical community (G&G and RE).
- Part of the overall IS service providing day to day incident, request, change management and problem management for technical systems.
Technical Systems Management
- Ensure efficient management and administration of the technical software environment, including Windows and Linux (RedHat) operating systems.
Technical Applications Management
- Ensure efficient management and administration of technical applications, including their installation, maintenance (minor/major upgrades) and licensing. Includes the technical applications portfolio such as Landmark, Petrel, Kingdom, Petrosys, OpenSpirit, Eclipse.
- Liaise with other members of the Information System teams, including LANDesk administrator, DBA’s, UNIX administrator, Storage and similar to ensure efficient running of associated servers, databases and software distribution to users.
- Liaise with peers at other the company sites to share experiences.
- Work with vendor support staff to identify and resolve issues on behalf of the company user community.
- To support the Information Systems overall aim of ‘Delivering the right information wherever business is being undertaken’ through clear communication.
Technical Systems Strategy
- Provide specialist input and support for technical system specification, design, configuration, deployment and delivery to operational support.
- Provide specialist input and support for the definition, adaption and maintenance of standards in response to evolving technical business needs.
- Preferably, but not required, to be educated to degree level.
- Advantageous to be qualified in either a Geoscience or IT field.
Ideally should have had significant exposure to the oil industry and have worked in association with Geoscience exploration and/or production activities.
Preferably have an in-depth knowledge of the industry applications that are used, and how they are applied and how they are licensed.
Preferably have detailed knowledge of high performance computer systems used for geoscience workflows, particularly Linux (RedHat) and Windows.
Knowledge of the different types of data used in the industry and how they are used is beneficial but not essential
Strengths & Behaviours
- Sound technical knowledge and ability to solve problems
- Good analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Good organisational skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Be able to work to timescales and deadlines as required
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplined technical team and take responsibility and manage tasks to completion
- Ability to work on own initiative and take a proactive approach
- Adopt a pragmatic, hands-on, people facing, fit for purpose approach
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Open, honest & reliable
For a confidential discussion around this position or other opportunities please tel 01 210 1010 or email your cv in strictest confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org