Chief Technical Officer
|Job Type:||Permanent||Location:||Dublin City Centre|
My client, a Dublin based Irish technology start-up, involved in innovative cloud software for the medical sector, is seeking a Chief Technical Officer. This is an exciting role for the right candidate with an excellent opportunity to be part of the management team.
Overall Job Purpose:
The CTO in partnership with the Management Team is responsible for establishing the company’s technical visions, developing the product roadmap and leading all aspects of the company‘s technology development. Responsible for maintaining existing systems, while providing hands-on architectural oversight and guidance and direction in all technology-related issues in support of information operations. Playing an integral role in setting the company’s strategic direction, development and future growth, positioning the company’s service offering as a leader in the health and patient safety industry.
The CTO is responsible for the engineering team, which consists of development, IT and QA.
- Manage development of products in the most cost effective manner within quality standards.
- Oversee engineering department to attain maximum efficiency in the design and production of health and patient safety web-based products
- Direct activities so that products are developed on schedule and within quality standards and cost objectives and meet market demands.
- Ensure customer support etc are operating at levels which meet customer requirements and satisfaction.
- Review, analyse and approve the department’s operational and project budgets.
- Establish financial benchmarks and projections for departments as products and sales increase.
- Formulate and recommend operational policies and programs that guide the organization in maintaining and improving its competitive position and the profitability of the operation.
- Achieve optimum labour, overhead and material costs. Evaluate new headcount, hiring, and employee performance.
- Drive the company to achieve and surpass sales, profitability, cash flow and business goals and objectives.
Strategy & Planning
- In partnership with the Management Team, identify opportunities and risks for delivering the company’s services as a web-based business, including identification of competitive services, opportunities for innovation, and assessment of marketplace obstacles and technical hurdles to the business success.
- In collaboration with the Sales & Marketing teams develop prototypes, mockups and concepts to demonstrate the platforms capability to meet the individual needs to pipeline opportunities in an agile manner.
- Understand and develop relationships with key governmental and non-governmental stakeholders across the compliance and patient safety spectrum within current and future markets to ensure the platform offering across the landscape is understood and integration opportunities and requirements are road mapped effectively.
- Identify technology trends and evolving social behaviour that may support or impede the success of the business.
- Evaluate and identify appropriate technology platforms (including web application frameworks and the deployment stack) for delivering the company’s services.
- Lead strategic planning to achieve business goals by identifying and prioritizing development initiatives and setting timetables for the evaluation, development, and deployment of all web-based services.
- Participate as a member of the senior management team in establishing governance processes of direction and control to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately and the organization’s resources are used responsibly, particularly in the areas of software development, office networks and computers, and telecommunications.
- Collaborate with the appropriate departments to assess and recommend technologies that support company organizational needs.
- Establish a governance process that meets government, partner, and company expectations for customer information privacy.
- Direct development and execution of an enterprise-wide information security plan that protects the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the company’s data and servers.
- Direct development and execution of an enterprise-wide disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
- Communicate the company’s technology strategy to investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders.
Implementation & Deployment
- As a member of the management team, manage the selection and registration of the company’s web site domain names, including any related-but-unused domains that could compromise the integrity of the business (through competition, typo squatting, etc.).
- Support the pre-sales and sales and marketing activities including meeting, managing and exceeding customers’ expectations as part of a structured business development process.
- Collaborate with a User Experience Designer and potential customers to prepare wireframes or mockups of a prototype of the company’s web application. Select or define the company’s software development methodology.
- Establish a specification conformance and testing regimen based on user stories and the User Experience design.
- Review current best practices for the selected web framework and establish the initial architecture for the application.
- Select and manage company staff or outsourced vendors.
- Establish and supervise the software development process, setting short-term objectives and assessing progress as defined by the selected software development methodology.
- Promulgate coding conventions and documentation standards.
- Conduct code reviews and specification conformance testing as defined by the selected software development methodology.
- Select, deploy, and monitor performance profiling tools and procedures.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices by attending relevant conferences and reading widely.
- Define and communicate company values and standards for acquiring or developing systems, equipment, or software within the company.
- Ensure that technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organization.
- Share knowledge, mentor, and educate the organization’s investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders with regard to the company’s technological vision, opportunities, and challenges.
- Ensure company technical problems are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Develop, track, and control the development and deployment of annual operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing, and operations.
- Supervise recruitment, training, retention, and organization of all development staff in accordance with the company hiring process, personnel policies, and budget requirements.
- Establish standards of performance and monitor conformance for staff (through performance reviews) and vendors (through service level agreements).
- Ensure the company’s internal technological processes and customer-facing services comply with customer and industry expectations and applicable laws and regulations for patient safety management, privacy, security, and social responsibility.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS / EXPERIENCE:
- BS/BA in computer science, business administration or related major or equivalent combination of education and experience. A graduate degree in one of these fields is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to envision and architect web-based services that meet consumer needs or solve business problems.
- Minimum of 15 years of professional experience, five of which management of teams in a large enterprise environment.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience managing engineering and develops teams.
- Extensive experience in customer engagement and presenting technical concepts to C level executives.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to tease apart complex situations to determine core business problems and develop solutions that meet the businesses objectives.
- Experience in Back Office systems and knowledge in health and patient safety workflow.
- Keen business acumen and proven executive management abilities based on prior experience.
- Forthright and a team player who is open to being a member of a high performance management team.
- Ability to have effective two-way communication with management and development team.
- Provide leadership and motivation to the development team via a dynamic, confident and professional demeanor.
- Experience with startup companies.